A Nevada County Christmas Tradition!
Visit our FaceBook Page for more details, photos, videos and updates!
Entertainment Schedule- scroll down to bottom
Celebrate our 52nd year with us, a Rain or Shine event!
Fridays, from 6:00 pm – 9:00 pm on Mill & Main Streets in Historic Downtown Grass Valley
Pause at the steps of the historic Union Building as the Cornish Carol Choir performs traditional homeland Christmas carols. A long-standing Cornish tradition, some members are actually descendants of original Grass Valley Cornish Miners. Enjoy the wide selection of holiday music offered by local Grass Valley musicians amongst the trappings of an historic gold rush town. Imagine life in another era where men and women worked hard, had little, but cherished the simple pleasures of hearty food and drink, a good song, and a warm fire with family and friends.
At the Grass Valley Cornish Christmas you’ll see kids and adults dressed in period costumes while you discover one of California’s best kept secrets as you shop the amazing collection of merchants that call downtown Grass Valley their home.
Dine in one of the many world-class restaurants found in downtown Grass Valley. Sample local wines at one of three wine tasting rooms in downtown Grass Valley or just enjoy the simple pleasures of chestnuts roasted on an open fire.
The Cornish Christmas celebration is truly an overload of the senses. Stroll down the bustling historic downtown Grass Valley streets as Christmas music fills the air. Hear young and old alike play their rendition your favorite holiday tunes as buildings dressed in Christmas lights sparkle in the December night air. Smell the aroma of your favorite dish while you browse the multitude of gifts and decorations made by some of California’s best crafters and artisans
Activities and spots to see:
- Santa will take up residence at Three Lilies Photography
- Mrs. Clause and elves will be handing out candy canes throughout the area
- Cornish Cousin history booth by The Union steps
- Annual Downtown merchant ornament and Cornish Christmas button at Foothill Mercantile.
- Kids’ crafts at the Artists Workshop and the Holbrooke Hotel
- Holbrooke Hotel will host music and activities outside the building – Something different each week!
- Letters to Santa that receive a reply at Tofanelli’s Gold Country Bistro
- Special appearances will include the CHP horses, on 12/21 6:30-7:30
- Bounce house will be a part of the festivities on Main Street
- Chestnuts by Cecil Snow of Snowden drafting on Main Street across from Foothill Flowers
- Fire pit by Old Town Cafe and at top of Main by the Holbrooke Hotel
- Toys For Tots will be taking donations at the Clocktower at the Marine Corps Booth
- Cornish Connection at M3Mall includes free gift wrapping, Cornish Trivia, and Cornish King and Queen photo opportunities & Salvation Army Red Kettle
- Mulled wine at Lucchesi Winery, Avanguardia and Cork 49
- Face Painting and Balloons on Mill street
- Kano police dog ornaments for sale at the GVDA booth at Clocktower on Mill and Main/ a portion of the proceeds will benefit the Rüdiger Foundation
Public bathrooms will be at the Elizabeth Daniels Park-125 Neal -Street.
Thank you for your time and donations! We can only do this event with your help!
Click on their logos for links to their websites. Help support these businesses who support us in producing free community events
Ed and Barbara Thomas
Cornish Christmas Sponsorship
You can help make Cornish Christmas great – one of our largest free community events of the year!
Every bit helps us with the costs of putting on the event and maintaining the lights and decorations
Insight with Capitol Public Radio interview
The Cornish Choir performs at 6:00pm and 7:00pm every Cornish Christmas
at the steps of the historic Union Building, next to 151 Mill Street
Listen online here for the interview with Cornish Bards from 2017
Photo by Jackson Starr
Food Vendors must fill out a TFF Risk Assessment:
Vendor prices depend on the kind of vendor you are, and if you are doing all the nights, or some.
You can choose the nights you want to vend at. We prefer if you can do all 5 nights, however individual dates are available.
- Crafters/ Home Cottage Business/ Packaged Food is $30 per night
- Non-Profit Organizations are $25 per night
- Business Improvement District members $10 per night for a spot in front of your downtown store
- Food Vendors are $50 per night
- All food vendors need to have a current permit with Nevada County Environmental Health (high risk for food, low risk for hot chocolate and cider)
- You must have a current permit by November 2nd to be considered for food vending. Visit Nevada County Environmental Health at the Rood Center in Nevada City to get your permits current.
- Corporations are $72 per night
- Mark any notes on your application and or in email to email@example.com
- Power is not provided. Vendors provide their own power with batteries or Quiet generators.
- Instructions for using a battery to power lights provided upon request
- No kerosene lamps
- no pets