Downtown Grass Valley is open for business. Our businesses maintain safety and sanitation standards. Scroll down for all the info on merchants and vendors and holiday traditions we can host.
In keeping with public health and safety guidelines, there will be no street closures, large crowds, or street vendors. Instead, we focus on featuring our retail shops and restaurants, and festively decorated streets and buildings in the entire downtown. Stroll on the Mill Street downtown promenade which is closed to motorized traffic.
View all the 240 businesses downtown here
Retail is open with 20% capacity and restaurants are doing take out. Many merchants offer shopping appointments, in person or online, delivery and shipping, and have websites so you can shop virtually and local.
Because of the Covid-19 pandemic, traditional Cornish Christmas holiday events will not be taking place this year. Support our traditional Cornish Christmas vendors by shopping on their websites instead.
Did you know that 3 of our downtown stores were street fair vendors?
Downtown Holiday Markets are what call our shopping weekends.
Shop Our “Downtown Promenade” and all of downtown with extended Holiday Hours.
Starting the Friday after Thanksgiving Downtown many stores and restaurants will be extending their hours on Fridays and Saturdays to 8:00 pm.
The promenade on Mill Street provides for a safe, socially distanced shopping and dining experience for all of our customers.
So please join us this Holiday season in supporting our local businesses, enjoying food and libations, shopping and strolling Downtown in our festive holiday environment.
You’ll want to see the decorated areas of downtown. Two large trees will be placed on Mill St along with a team of reindeer.
- A variety of Cornish Pasties are for sale from local shops and vendors: Marshall’s Pasties and Grass Valley Pasty Company
- Mulled wine at Watershed at the Owl, Lucchesi, Avanguardia, Cork 49
- Stucki Jewelers: ***It will SNOW out front of 148 Mill Street in front of the jewelry store from 4-8 pm Fridays and 12-4 pm Saturdays through Christmas****
- Annual downtown merchant ornament at Foothill Mercantile and Yuba Blue
- Holiday Art Market at the Center For the Arts Dec 19 & 20 Extended Weekend Hours: 11:00am – 4:00pm /Make a free reservation and RSVP HERE
- Cornish Choir playing on the downtown speakers and online appearances
- Cornish crier will be coming through Mill Street 6:00 on Fridays to ring in the holidays, then the Cornish Choir CD plays
- Random lone Cornish caroler appearances from afar
- Cornish history books at our bookstores The BookSeller and Booktown Books
- Cornish Choir CD’s are sold out but a few are available through Eleanor Kenitzer: call 530-277-8025
- Vendor list from past Cornish Christmas HERE
- Correction to previous listing on our website: no letters to Santa at Tofanelli’s this year. Letters to go through postal service. https://about.usps.com/holidaynews/letters-from-santa.htm
- Kano ornaments and Downtown Holiday Market buttons for sale at Foothill Mercantile
- Historic Downtown T shirts at the Bookseller
- Vintage Santa Holiday selfie station at the back of Antique Emporium 150 Mill St
- Santa Selfie station available some Saturdays
- Bodmin Voice articles on Cornish Choir at this link STV_20201209_MAIN_SV_014
- Moms & Mini’s Treasure Hunt Between now and Dec 18th “Collect” all of the treasures and enter to win a 4 night, 5 day stay on a 35 foot houseboat at Bullards Bar complements of Emerald Cove Marina Come by and snap a shot of Tiny Torts for you treasure collection, then enter @star941fm We could all use some fun in the sun to look forward to Open Tuesday through Saturday 10:00-5:00 and Sundays 11-4 Will select winner on Dec 21st.
- Moms & Mini’s Holiday Treasure Hunt
- Yuba Blue: Open late on Fridays and Saturdays 10am-8pm. Curbside, shipping, online.
- Grass Valley Brewing Co: $12 Tuesdays growler refills the entire month of December barley wine and double IPA two dollar up charge. Select Hooded sweatshirts $10 off. Great premade gift baskets
- Collektive boutique always offers in store & curbside pickup via our website calicollektive.com
- Art Works Gallery: new online store with local pick-up in our foyer so shoppers don’t have to enter the store artworksgalleryco-op.com Starting 11/27 will be open every day 11-5 opening at 10 AM Fri. & Sat. 11/27 & 28
- Heathered Yarn Co/Make Local Habit: offer curbside, as well as shipping. Heatheredyarnco.com has an option at checkout for local pickup. Look for virtual stitch nights for Heathered Yarn Co. Open until 6:00 Wednesday – Monday
- La Te Da: Will be open on Friday and Saturdays 10-8 and can do curbside pick up
- Caroline’s Coffee Roasters: Staying open until 7 pm Fridays and Saturdays, Thanksgiving to Christmas. And Christmas week our hours will be 6 am – 7 pm M-W, 6-3 on Christmas Eve. Website with free shipping over $50, curbside pickup also available
- Mill & Main Shop: Open until 7pm Thursdays Fridays & Saturdays. Shopping appointments, curbside, deliveries.
- Frank’s Pizza: Daily specials. Offer take n bakes everyday and also a gluten free option(cauliflower crust) med size only. Open 3pm to 8pm Wed-Sat
- Wild Birds Unlimited: offers in store shopping, curbside pick-up (Call order in , pay over phone and we will put in your car). open until 7:00 on Fridays and Saturdays
- M3Mall: offers shopping and gift wrapping. Their team of experienced shopping assistants can get you exclusive deals, coupons, and discounts, while helping YOU earn CASH BACK on your holiday purchases!⠀⠀⠀
- Lucchesi: doing mulled wine. We will be closed for Thanksgiving but are open till 9PM Friday & Sat.
- Collektive Boutique, Element & Loft, Cork 49 and The Pour House are teaming up on 11/28 7:00 pm to 8:30pm for special drinks, door prizes and a raffle for a $40 Collektive gift card
- Grass Valley Game Store For Black Friday we are open from 8am to 9 pm & we do a huge sale with 10% off store wide and some items up to half off. The same night we do our yearly holiday raffle for a $300.00 gift card at the end of the night live on Facebook. Open til 7pm every day except Sundays which is 5pm
- Lola & Jack open until 8pm
- J. Breuer Clothing open until 8pm now with men’s and women’s clothing
EVERYTHING in the store will be 20% off until CHRISTMAS DAY. Grand opening sale
Public bathrooms will be at the Elizabeth Daniels Park-125 Neal Street Our public restroom will be open as well a porta potty in the Church St parking lot behind Watershed at the Owl
GVDA is willing to assist with shopping- we can be hired to be your personal shopper
For more information please visit the GVDA website at www.downtowngrassvalley.com or call the GVDA office at 530-272-8315.
Victorian Christmas in Nevada City information HERE
Nevada County now falls into the State’s most restrictive purple “widespread” tier. Grass Valley Downtown Association is asking everyone to remain vigilant and adhere to the State and County’s public health and travel guidelines to ensure the health and safety of our small business owners and community:
- Visitors outside of the County are being asked to please show their love and support of Grass Valley by shopping online. Many of your favorite shops have made the pivot to create an online retail store, while others are offering Facebook and Instagram stores, and even taking phone orders, personal appointment and deliveries.
- Retail shops are now required to operate at 25% capacity. Signage will be posted outside businesses asking for your help in self-regulating this capacity limit. Masks should be worn anytime inside a business, public space, or public bathroom. Additional PPE will be offered including holiday themed masks and hand sanitizer.
- Restaurants along with bars, breweries and tasting rooms offering food, will only be operating outside. Bring out the ski and snow gear and make it a fashion show to dine out. Take a delicious holiday meal to-go! Almost all local restaurants are offering to-go options.
- Continue to practice social distancing and stay at least six feet (two arms lengths) from other people who are not from the same household in both indoor and outdoor spaces.
- Shop or go out to eat on midweek days or off hours when there are less people and more parking spots!
- Many retailers are offering special early shopping hours- give them a call
Enjoy your time downtown. We appreciate your support. These merchants give back to the community.
Support Our Cornish Christmas vendors by shopping on their websites:
Awesome Party Fun
Crystal Empire Gems
Curnow Bookbinding & Leatherwork
Damsel In Defense will wrap and deliver! Happy to teach how to use products
Earth to Momma LLC
Element & Loft
Fly To Me
SoBo, Absolutely Unique and Reiki Ranch products
Sons of Norway – Gulldalen Lodge
Special K9s Search & Recovery/ Fund raiser for Missing Persons Searches in California
Sunflower Alchemy Arts
Thistle & Stitch
TUTKU – Nourish with Passion
Tutku also at https://www.nourishwithpassion.com/shop
2019 Cornish Christmas
Entertainment Schedule scroll down.
Visit us on Facebook at
Celebrate our 52nd year with us, a Rain or Shine event!
Fridays, from 6:00 pm – 9:00 pm on Mill & Main Streets in Historic Downtown Grass Valley
Pause at the steps of the historic Union Building as the Cornish Carol Choir performs traditional homeland Christmas carols. A long-standing Cornish tradition, some members are actually descendants of original Grass Valley Cornish Miners. Enjoy the wide selection of holiday music offered by local Grass Valley musicians amongst the trappings of an historic gold rush town. Imagine life in another era where men and women worked hard, had little, but cherished the simple pleasures of hearty food and drink, a good song, and a warm fire with family and friends.
At the Grass Valley Cornish Christmas you’ll see kids and adults dressed in period costumes while you discover one of California’s best kept secrets as you shop the amazing collection of merchants that call downtown Grass Valley their home.
Dine in one of the many world-class restaurants found in downtown Grass Valley. Sample local wines at one of three wine tasting rooms in downtown Grass Valley or just enjoy the simple pleasures of chestnuts roasted on an open fire.
The Cornish Christmas celebration is truly an overload of the senses. Stroll down the bustling historic downtown Grass Valley streets as Christmas music fills the air. Hear young and old alike play their rendition your favorite holiday tunes as buildings dressed in Christmas lights sparkle in the December night air. Smell the aroma of your favorite dish while you browse the multitude of gifts and decorations made by some of California’s best crafters and artisans
Food vendors on the street below
|Zia G’s Candy|
|Jax Kettle Corn|
|An Honest Pie|
|Mad Hatter Doughnuts|
|Cool Hollow 4H|
|Horn of the Bull Taqueria|
|Michelle’s Sundance Catering|
|Butterflies & Roses Cancer Support|
Activities and spots to see:
Cornish Christmas Entertainment 12/20/19
Location: South Auburn and Main Street near Foggy Mountain Music, 104 W Main St
6:00-8:00 Jody Sweet’s music students on piano at Foggy Mountain Music
6:00-9:00 Free Roasted Chestnuts with Cecil Snow
6:00-9:00 Kettle Corn
Location: the Clocktower at corner of Main and Mill Street 130 W Main
6:30-7:30 California Highway Patrol horses
7:00-8:00 Vicki Fortini singing
6:00-9:00 Toys For Tots taking toy donations
6:00-9:00 Grass Valley Downtown Association booth/ Raffle Prize Sheet/
Kano GVPD Police Dog Rüdiger Christmas Ornaments to benefit Rüdiger Foundation/ annual event information
Location: Holbrooke Hotel 212 W Main
6:00-7:00 Brandon Stubbs on trumpet
7:00-7:30 Lyman Gilmore Band
7:30-8:30 Jasmine Bailey
6:00-9:00 Fire Pit & S’Mores
6:00-9:00 Bounce House
Location: Tofanelli’s 302 W Main
6:00-9:00 and all the time during the week: Letters to Santa that receive a reply
Location: Tribal Weaver 105 Mill St
6:30-8:30 Izzi Toinski juggling
6:00-9:00 Face Painting and Balloons nearby
Location: Old Town Café
6:00-7:00 Don Baggett horn group
7:00-7:30 Sierra Capella
6:00-9:00 Magicians Guild
6:00-9:00 Fire Pit
Location: Foothill Mercantile 121 Mill St
Cornish Christmas Buttons and Annual Downtown Ornament
6:00-9:00 and all week during store hours
Location: Bank Building corner of Mill and Bank 131 Mill Street
7:00-9:00 Jesse Strickman
Location: Crystal Empire Gems 139 Mill Street
6:00-7:00 Athena and Leander Giuliani
Location: The Union Building 151 Mill Street
6:00-6:30 Cornish Choir
7:00-7:30 Cornish Choir
6:00-9:00 Cornish History Booth
Location: Tao Te Café and Body Balance Academy 151 Mill Street
6:30-6:40/ 7:30-7:40 Body Balance Kung Fu Team
7:40-8:10 Hula dancing
Location: 125 Neal Street
Open all day until 9pm 125 Neal St
Location: Three Lilies Photography 140 Mill St
6:30-9:00 Santa visits and photography
Location: M3 Mall 133 Neal St
6:00-9:00 Free gift wrapping, Cornish Trivia, Cornish King and Queen
photo opportunities & Salvation Army Red Kettle
Location: Stucki’s Jewelers 148 Mill St
6:00-9:00 Mrs. Clause on Mill and Main roaming
Locations for Mulled Wine and downtown drinks
Avanguardia Wines Winery 163 Mill will be serving mulled wine (Vin Brule) after Thanksgiving on weekends
Watershed at the Owl has two kinds of mulled wine, white sangria and red mulled wine
Cork 49 142 Mill will have holiday mimosas
Lucchesi Vineyards 128 Mill has a festive outdoor area serving mulled wine. Will be closed for Thanksgiving but are open till 9PM Friday & Sat.
Sierra Starr is doing full bottle sales at 124 W Main St
Buskers will pepper open spots for your entertainment!
Extra event parking at Grass Valley Charter School to the right of Diego’s Chilean Inspired South American Restaurant open 5:30-9:30 for the event.
Thank you for your time and donations! We can only do this event with your help!
Click on their logos for links to their websites. Help support these businesses who support us in producing free community events
Title Sponsor, the City of Grass Valley
Cornish Christmas Sponsorship
You can help make Cornish Christmas great – one of our largest free community events of the year!
Every bit helps us with the costs of putting on the event and maintaining the lights and decorations
Insight with Capitol Public Radio interview
Listen online here for the interview with Cornish Bards from 2017
Photo by Jackson Starr
Vendor applications currently closed. You may inquire via email at email@example.com or 530-272-8315
2019 Vendor INFO:
Dates: November 29th, December 6th, December 13th, & December 20th Friday Evenings from 6:00pm – 9:00pm
Online Vendor Application HERE
Printable Vendor Application HERE: Cornish-Christmas-Vendor-Application 2019
Printable Entertainment Application HERE: Cornish Christmas Entertainment App 2019
Printable Food Vendor TFF Risk Assessment Guide HERE: TFF-Risk-Assessment-Guide for food vendors only
Non Food Vendors Release Form to be signed and turned back into the GVDA if you are printing your application: WAIVER OF LIABILITY AND HOLD HARMLESS AGREEMENT-CC 2019
Vendor prices depend on the kind of vendor you are, must commit to all 4 weeks or be put on a waitlist for week to week placement.
- Crafters/ Home Cottage Business/ Packaged Food is $128
- Non-Profit Organizations are $104
- Corporations are $244
- Business Improvement District members $40
- Food Vendors are $244
- All food vendors need to have a current permit with Nevada County Environmental Health (high risk for food, low risk for hot chocolate and cider)
- You must have a current permit by November 2nd to be considered for food vending. Visit Nevada County Environmental Health at the Rood Center in Nevada City to get your permits current.
Mark any notes on your application and or in an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Power is not provided. Vendors provide their own power with batteries or Quiet generators. No kerosene lamps.
No pets and no smoking downtown per city ordinance